First off, as I’m sure have you seen on your news, Taiwan has suffered much more from typhoon Morakot than it was initially thought. A week later the whereabouts of many still haven’t been confirmed and there are thousands still stranded. The official death toll due to the horrendous mudslides in southern Taiwan may exceed 500 as entire villages were swept away by rivers of mud. It’s difficult to comprehend the devastation. Now, the government is under fire for not responding fast enough and for initally rejecting offers of help from abroad. I hope that those missing are found alive.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Typhoon survivor: Our house was like a boat (cnn.com)
- Taiwan president apologizes as families mourn (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Across Ravine, Typhoon Survivors Wait (nytimes.com)
- A Week After Typhoon, Taiwan Rescues Continue (time.com)
- Many images of typhoon’s desolation from Taiwan (robertg69.wordpress.com)